The Kids

The Kids

Thursday, July 16, 2015

People of the Word

I can only think of one reason to start, but multitudes of reasons to steer clear. I am starting this blog back up purposefully as a tool to help people understand the Word. First let me give you the reasons why I am hesitant:

1. We live in a culture full of babblers. Somewhere along the way technology turned us all into poet laureates and philosophical giants. We live in a hipster society full of tweets, instagrams, instant messages, shares, and posts. If you have a voice, you can assure your narcissistic self it will be heard, liked, shared, and retweeted. The world does not need another voice. The world needs Jesus. I am hesitant to write anything because I hate to add to the noise. My only desire is for people to say "His Jesus is awesome."

2. I hate to write anything public because I am young. The multiplying grey hairs on my head, my sagging belly, popping joints, and 3 am heartburn beg to argue with the assertion of my youth. However, I realize (or hope) I am not near as wise or learned as I will be thirty years from now. I dread to look back at this in my sixties and contemplate on my foolishness. Yet, each week people from all walks of life listen to me preach and make life altering choices based on the preached word. I cannot afford to be silent, foolish, or inaccurate.

3. I dread this task because it will involve more work. I work too much. More weeks than not I hit the 70 hour mark working seven days a week. It is sinful and I neglect mandated rest. My over work ethic already has had a negative impact upon my health. However, I plan to discipline my work. This blog is part of a commitment to work smarter not harder.

4. I am hesitant to write because I do not wish to spoon feed able bodied individuals. Christians should reach a point of maturity where they are able to digest the meat of the Word of God. For far too long, we have settled eating regurgitated meals like baby birds receiving our spiritual diets from the latest guy with a flashy smile or newest book regardless of their theology. We often digest pure vomit out of laziness. My hope is for every Christian to live as a royal priest able to confidently approach God not to maintain a nursery of whiney babies refusing to grow up. 

So, why am I starting a blog back up? Simply put: People need the Word. I am starting this blog for the express purpose of sermon based discipleship. It disturbs me how many good church going "Christians" neglect the Word of God on a regular basis. Many people who have been in church for a decade or longer have no clue how to study the Bible. I have tried to ingrain an easy technique into those I preach to on a regular basis. As an expositor, I preach through books of the bible at a time. This allows every individual the ability to study the text before and after the sermon. If you struggle with spending time in the Word, try taking notes during the sermon and then mull over the material during the week. Pray and Act on the proclaimed word of God. I will write this blog to help in the process. Starting next week, I will make a post on Sunday morning to accompany the text I am preaching on. The blog posts will focus primarily on application and integration into life. I hope the process will help the two readers of this blog grow in their understanding of the Word while helping me communicate the text. Hopefully, God will use this as a tool to help disciple believers in their understanding of Scripture.

If you wish to use this tool, first listen to the sermon then read the blog.

Dr. C.R. Stark     

No comments:

Post a Comment